Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bailey

This is a very personal blog I write this evening, as it involves the recent passing of our last Golden Retriever Bailey, at the rip old age of 14 1/2 years. We came to the decision that Bailey had fought all the fight, and with deteriorated hips, failing eyesight, a lack of appetite, and his other recent obstacles, Cindy, the kids and I all came to the conclusion we could not let him suffer anymore.
To the end, he enjoyed last car ride he watched the cars whiz by, kept nudging my hand to keep petting him, with the breeze coming through the back window.

 He was for me also my baseball pal, as on many walks I would try and engage him in discussion about my many fantasy baseball teams, who should I keep Bailey ?   Maybe Ortiz, Soriano ?? Who ?   Bailey often just continued to sniff the trail, hoping to pick up the scent of another dog, skunk, squirrel, etc. Occasionally he looked up quizzically at some comment about drafting another rookie, I guess at his age he favoured the vets. At his age, I guess he was partial to experience over exuberance.

Bailey was part of the 2 dogs we had from 1996 to 2010, having lost Keon to that bastard called cancer, or whatever the canine version is called. Walking both meant a free for all in a round table discussion on any baseball related topic, with much disagreement between them both.

Bailey was on the DL many times, but kept coming back, seemingly like he would play forever. As you know, not even the superstars ply forever, their time comes as well.  He was born with his testicles not having descended, he had hematomas, bad ear infections, ripped nails, geriatric vestibular syndrome ( twice ) and later on eye problems, and the muscle in the back legs just about disappeared.  He still fought on, tried gamely to navigate the back deck, and even as far back as 10 days ago allowed me to walk him around the block.

My heart is very heavy tonight, my family feels the emptiness, the quiet is too quiet, he is missed from his evening post beside my chair, seeking my stroke, my touch on his head, a scratch of his nose, or chin, a reassuring word, a cookie for being the companion he always was.

He was rambunctious as a pup, jumping up on folks, to lick them, show affection, the opposite of Keon. That prompted many to turn towards the taciturn and friendly Keon while Baily bore the rap of the that crazy puppy, the diamond in the rough. Bailey ran faster, ate faster, challenged Keon more to fisticuffs, and was the aggressor as they grew together, but my best memories are the quieter, more mature dog, who for many years waited at the front door watching for me to walk up to the house, and the howling would begin, the excitement was genuine and never wavered.

He was my personal bench coach,  whatever my suggestions were, if I asked him if he disagreed, he offer his low bark, or short yip of approval or disapproval, he always had a response.

My daughter Kelly taught after much work to offer his right front paw, ah a natural righty !! , Keon could offer either paw, showing his ability to be a switch hitter if necessary.

My kids grew up with both these animals and realised that with Bailey's passing, a bit of their youth was lost on Monday, but have fond memories, of tea parties, dress up, and snuggles.

He was born in Beeton, Ontario in April of 1996, and he will find his rest in Mississauga with his brother.

Bailey was chosen from a good size litter, and essentially Kelly picked him out still wearing a little magenta colored collar, and we were the richer for having in our lives.

Please God, please take of my two boys, they are together again, as it should be in your house.

Bless you Bailey, rest easy,



My Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment