Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ball Players and Social Media

Joey19Bats, BrLawrie, RickyRo, Jays and other players now feel the urge to communicate independently from regular press agents and conferences.

Oh, they still use those outlets, but today's athlete feels the need to express themselves. Base Ball players are no exception. They weigh on discipline issues, suspensions, awards, new music, game winning RBI's and whether they suffering from chronic disrespect.

Now Football and Basketball players are way ahead, and they as a group are far more vocal, the WR network of Terrel Owens, Ocho Cinco demand the attention of anyone within shouting distance. These are athletes that while in college were adulated, revered, raised on a pedestal, so why would they expect anything less now that they are in the pro arena.

I follow a few, Bret Lawrie, Gregg Zaun, Bautista, but far too many are so self indulgent snivelling me, me, me, look at me types, they have turned me off. You disconnect yourself with players that have more bluster than PT Barnum, more huts pa than a US politician. More balls than......well you get the idea. I still hear or read what they say, but if you follow reporters, TV and print you get to see what they see.

I am a big fan of free speech, hell I have my own Twitter account, so I will not carve up players to be heard, just perhaps so outspoken.  Talk about your play, talk about how you profess to love the fans, talk about your love of family, what music you listen, but don't talk trash about your team mates. Do not trash each other, that is always , always, misunderstood and we have that "disrespecting " word again. 

My tweets are meant for humour, I respond to others, challenge opinions, foster some of my own, usually harmless attempts to be part of this new social media environment. Hopefully I will cross any borders I shouldn't.  Athletes do , and they really need more media training, and perhaps a dose of humility. Because when they stray from the clear and narrow path, they find themselves having those press  conferences to apologise, or say what they really meant.

An old saying still applies....People in glass houses should not throw stones...time to revisit some of those values before saying something hurtful.  Read  your own copy over, ask yourself this..Is this going to hurt anyone, is anyone going to be offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment