Friday, July 27, 2012

Topps 71


Once I started doing  some research on one sided games, I was forced to review old box scores from 77, 79, etc. One thing leads to another, and in my case, it lead to collecting this series.

In the first package I ever opened, I got this card above.



 So, some 41 years ago, my summer was spent from the end of June to Labour Day. Days at the beach, a summer spent slowly collecting small pieces of baseball history.

Whenever my parents wanted milk, bread or a daily paper, I would volunteer to ride down to the closest store, a 20 minute ride, because they would allow me buy a couple of packs of cards, going for 15 cents.


Here are some of the cards that for whatever reason I just seem to gravitate to, in a 715 card set.


Clemente, that year his Pirates upset the favoured Orioles in 7 games











Wilbur Wood, a knuckleballer who played for both red & Whiote Sox, and won 22 games one year, with a microscopic ERA.

Joe Rudi, a member of the 3 time World Series Oakland A's champs. A clutch hitter and made memorable out field catches.











Anyhow, I lost the complete set, thanks Mom, whn we moved to West Hill in 72.

Not worry, it took me over 17 years to recollect the set again, and it was a tad more expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment