Saturday, April 24, 2010

Baseball and Music


Recognise this dude ?


Former member of the Punk group called the New York Dolls ? Still no connection ?


How about Buster Poindexter ?


Getting warm , hey remember "Hot Hot Hot".


When I came across this fictitious baseball card, a mid 1950's version, it touched my 2 biggest loves, music and baseball.


With a long train ride to Montreal last week, armed with Ipod and a new baseball book to read, I was in a great mood.


Heck I even like the organist at the ballgame churning out cheers to the faithful. So if you will indulge me a diversion from strictly baseball writings, I will offer some of my favorite tunes.


So, I am on the desert island, and I can have 50 songs to keep me from going nuts. Of course if I have a radio and I can pull in a ballgame, even better.


Here, in no particular order are the 50.


Centrefield - John Fogarty

Cannonball - Supertramp

Desolation Row - Bob Dylan

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Layla - Eric Clapton

Paint it Black - Rolling Stones

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses

Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Walkin on the Sun - Smashmouth

Another Brick in the Wall ( Part 1 ) - Pink Floyd

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

Tom Sawyer - Rush

It's my Life - Talk Talk

8 Days a Week - The Beatles

People are People - Depeche Mode

Magic Bus - The Who

Beds are Burning - Midnight Oil

Thunder on the Mountain - Dylan

Rocket Man - Elton John

Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group

Have a Nice Day - Bon Jovi


Hey notice no Celine Dion or chick singers......okay just checked on the Jays, wow, they were down 5 doughnut, now it is 6-6....okay now we head back to the Casey Kassem top 50 desert island extravaganza.


Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

Money - Pink Floyd

Story in your eyes - The Moody Blues

You can't always get what you want - Stones


Oh Christ it is 8-6 for the Red Sox, see what happens if you change channels too fast.


Taxi - Harry Nilsson

Idiot Wind - Bob Dylan


I went 3-3 in my AL Brett fantasy team, I got like zero offense and great pitching staff so far.


White Wedding - Billy Idol

Walk this Way - Aerosmith

Street with no Name - U2 ( what ? did you think there would be no U2 ) C'mon folks

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straights


How many is that ? 33 , gotta bare down now...


Hotel California - The Eagles

Clocks - Coldplay

A Day in the Life - The Beatles

Comfortly Numb - Pink Floyd

China Grove - The Doobie Brothers


Damn that Vernon Wells, 2 on , none out, swingin at that damn 1st pitch.


Oh Boy, looks le the Habs are forcing a Game 7 , up 3 doughnut with 12 minites left, but I digress, I hope I catch fish on this desert island ?


One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer - George Thoroughgood

Band on the Run - Paul McCartney & Wings


Okay only 10 more, and guess what, them damn Jays have tied it at 8-8.....


Light my Fire - The Doors ( and you know Jimmy loved baseball )

Long and Winding Road - The Beatles

Won't get fooled again - The Who

Purple Haze - Jimmy Hendrix

Candle in the Wind - Elton John

Beautiful Day - U2

Hells Bells - AC DC

Burning down the House - Talking Heads

Bloody Well Right - Superttramp

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider


Oh one bonus track, Limelight by Rush, needed one last bit of Canadian content.


Now I hope the batteries last more than an hour........ oh and the Jays are still in the top of the 5th, now 9-8 for the Rosy Red Hoisery .





No comments:

Post a Comment