Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Old is New

 Old is new again, and I am glad for that.

So when I first went to the mistake by the lake, I am sure that outside the stadium hard by the last hot dog stand, this logo greeted me in 1977, or it looked remarkably like this one.

I think the addition of the Maple Leaf in logo adds flavour, and with this being the only Canadian franchise, we can claim to the home flag emblem.


This at least cause me to by a new cap, a coffee mug, and embrace the old "blue" Jay symbol. I never like the black, the cocky, the angry Blue Jay,
I remember travelling in the United States with the old logo, people identified it immediately,  and it gave me recognition. Toronto's team, it has a brand, and brand is good.  Not sure why the Raptors were so short sighted. Purple and based on a trio of movies.  Guess they did not see that train leaving the station.

A Blue Jay


Anyone notice the high degree of blue in Blue Jay, I guess the new marketing agenda have those colours in their pencil case.










On a personal note, what else is there with blogs, but a couple of observations on this year's team.

1. Where the hell did this kid Yan Gomes from, kid can rake, watch for him.
2. Dusty's comeback in good shape, so far, crossed fingers.
3. Colby, don't make us regret trading half the bloody bullpen to get you
4. Farrell seems a lot more relaxed, perhaps not going to second guess himself.

We are at the half way point, or near abouts in camp, and battle lines are drawn between Snider, Thames, Davis and Francisco. 4 players for 2 jobs.  I have to think Raj Davis is safe, he has hit well, provides speed off the bench and backs up Rasmus.  No prediction on the last outfield spot, not yet anyway.

Rotation is set so long as McGowan and Alvarez continue to shine. Ricky Ro, Morrow and Cecil look good for 1-3 , so Drabek and Laffey go to Vegas. Villaneuva heads to his long role, and the pen is set with Janssesn, Frasor, Coco Cordero, Oliver and Santos. That is 11, and unless they decide to keep Luis Perez, and drop Vizquel, that is the staff.

I don't think that will happen, and I think Omar will stick.  If the rotation pitches well through April into May, and the bullpen does their job, this team will survive the first crunch and be above .500 through the quarter pole, and Omar's experience will steady the kids.

3 keys this year.

Rotation
Lawrie
JP Arencibia

If they get improvements to all 3, we can begin to think Wild Card.

Oh, it's spring, and I can afford to be optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment