Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Being Pedro Martinez
















I suppose the Phillies know what they're doing, signing Pedro Martinez to a one year deal for the reported $ 1,000,000 deal.

Martinez finalized a $1 million, one-year contract with the Phillies on Wednesday and can earn up to $1.5 million in incentives. The three-time Cy Young Award winner hasn't pitched since last season and won only eight games in 25 starts over his final two seasons with the New York Mets.


"I don't expect to be the same Pedro that I was when I was 26," the 37-year-old right-hander said. "There's a lot of innings I've pitched since then. It's not the same, but I still feel like I can still bring something to the table."

I have to say that if the World Series Champs have to resurrect Pedro from the bargain bin, after he left the Mets after what would considered as his swan song. He appeared at the WBC, but he did not show anyone then he deserved another shot.

Cue the Phillies, desperately trying to be repeat NL East Champs, maybe even return to the World Series. With Pedro ??? C'mon let's be real, Pedro will be hard pressed to get to the 5th inning, something he had a hard doing with the Mets, and that was one full year ago.

To get inside Pedro is a hard thing, he contradicts himself , talks in the third person occasionally, and has taken to getting Tarot readings before starts. Being Pedro is a complicated thing, like being John Malkovich, Pedro is going to cause the Phillies to have fits, and double the visits to the staff psychiatrist.

Pedro has been one one the games best, but at times, his antics are questionable, I mean ask Don Zimmer.

I'll be the first one convinced, really convinced, if Pedro can do it or not," Martinez said. "If Pedro don't do it, he must leave the game".

"I bring with me a legacy, I bring with me my last name," Martinez said.

Can't argue with that logic, can you ??

He may catch lightening in a bottle once or twice, but this experiment will end before the end of August, and watch for the Phillies to back this move up a more sure thing prior to the July 31st non waiver trade deadline. Unless Curt Schilling can pull a John Cusack and crawl inside Pedro.

One more blog this week to come, and then off to Syracuse for a Bob Dylan concert.

Enjoy !!!






No comments:

Post a Comment