Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lincecum


I have decided to write about the next generation of baseball heroes, and this will kind of last awhile, so let me apologise for ignoring any current events. Like new no hitters ( sorry Edwin Jackson ).
If I knew why I marvel at Tim Lincecum's ability to throw the ball the way he does. Cause I could never could, and I always wanted to.
I could catch, and damn, I could run, but I could never throw the ball that well. Lincecum is that athlete that does things effortlessly, and with such flow. Damn he makes me wish I could get another chance. But the hair is a bit too much, however, I loved Johnny Damon and those Oakland Atheletics of the 70's with the handlebar moustaches, so the Freak can keep his doo. Is he another Samson ?
Maybe from his long hair comes his inner strength. If so, Tim, you are something rare, and special. Throwing in the mid to high 90's , and can mesmerize with his offspeed stuff, just watch the expressions in the hitters when that curve breaks away, their eyes widen and they listen to the umpire call it for a caught 3rd strike, then they wince and toss their batting helmet off like discarded battle gear.
He is nick named "The Freak", because I think he is seen as a freak of nature, since due to his slight build, no one expected Lincecum to generate such power. I love the high leg kick, slightly reminiscent of El Toreador, Juan Marichal, of Los Gigantes of years past. Marichal's trade mark high leg kick helped create enough deception that hitters were watching his delivery as much as his fastball, and were never sure what direction the pitch was coming in from. Just too many body parts in motion. Lincecum's fluid pitching motion has been broken down frame by frame and analysed by kinesiolgists ( no spell check for that ) to define it.
I say " do I want to know how he does it " ? No, I don't, I would rather just marvel at his ability to pretzel major league hitters.
So who is next, Pujols, Arod, or stay on the mound with Carpenter, Jon Lester, no, I want to focus on the next generation, so upcoming segments will be on Rickey Romero, Elvis Andrus and Andrew McCutcheon.

No comments:

Post a Comment