Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day is great, even if it's on the road


As timeless as " my grandfather died and I have to go to the funeral", as eternal as, the boss thought I should wear this false nose and glasses if I went to the ballpark, because if he found out, I'd be fired.

Opening Day is hope springing eternal, and of course skipping work, especially if the game is mid day.

As Yogi Berra stated, home openers are great even on the road, and I know what he meant. That feeling of first pitch, first hit, and strikeout means spring is official, despite the weather reports.

I have attended 4 opening days in Jays history, 2 of them were evening affairs, so no family member was sacrified in or order to slip quietly out. The other 2 were, official "calls", and living dangerously makes it more thrilling. Those 2 were years ago, and I sat in the old grandstand in Exorcism Stadium, with seasgulls chasing me for my hot dog bun crumbs.

Those days we never thought about winning, sorry Charlie, duh, it was just the experience of being there, the bunting, the pennants, the frigid wind blowing off the lake, the mitts and toques we wore, the hip flask, or the "coffee" in the thermos, right...sure...nod nod wink wink.

Anyhow, as the 2011 season officially kicks off today, ( and me wishing I was home ) and I just checked, 2 games have actually started, so we're off and running, the Braves got the 1st run of the season by the way, and we now start the marathon that is the 162 game regular season to eliminate all but 8 teams out of 30, seems like a lot to me, but it's the tradition that exists, and baseball is tradition spelled sideways.

And it's now 2-0 Braves over the Nats, so for Washington, nothing has changed. Ist in peace, 1st in war, last in baseball. The Nats have hopes, and dreams, but short on talent, but it's their home opener, so perhaps they will triumph and come back to send the fans home happy. Tomorrow they will get 10,000 likely showing up, today a packed house, because it's Opening Day.

There is nothing to describe Opening Day in baseball, all teams begin 0-0, equal footing, and after today it is the 161 dat march towards October.

Yanks are playing the Tiggers in the early AL tilt, with Sabathia and Verlander duelling, and as reported the Yanks have CC, Hughes and AJ Burnett, and then their "HOT TUB TIME MACHINE" extras like Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia and Kevin Millwood, so an interesting beginning for the Bronx Bombers.

Oh and the Tigers have scored and have 1st and 3rd with none out, so you see, tempis has fugited, time marches on.

Again for those that care " PLAY BALL"

No comments:

Post a Comment