Saturday, March 26, 2011

Playing a little fantasy ball

As we near the end of camps in Zona and Florida, and I fill the last few rosters spots on my 4 fantasy teams, it becomes harder to find talent.
Good help is hard to find, so the picture shows.

I have played fantasy ball since 1985, and played the "rotisserie game" after reading Daniel Okrent's book on rotisserie baseball, and was caught up in the whole process.

Their game was developed by a group of friends, who were accountants, lawyers, etc, but were all friends, and big fans of baseball. They gathered routinely at a New York restaurant that was famous for it's rotisserie chicken, no lie.  So after a Mets game one evening, a few of them with Okrent the architect, they thrashed out the basis for "the bidding process", the bankroll, the roster size, and of course the measurements, the stats.

After a few trial runs, the numbers for team salary, and eligibility were established, and they formed their Rotisserie League, and began the process. Their game was based on bidding for players, and what was unique was, the birth of the $ 1.00 dollar player, or the bargain, a late choice, by happenstance, more of a fluke than fortune. Getting that late pick, and then watching that guy make the team and do better than that $ 40 dollar bum you outbid 2 other guys for, to watch him crash and burn.

Such was Rotisserie, and I enjoyed that brand of game for several years until 1993 when I stumbled on my current version, Scoresheet Baseball. Still playing today, and now with 4 teams in separate leagues, some contenders, some rebuilding jobs, all provide interest nevertheless.

My favourite is my Brett league, because I partnered with my son, and we pick the players, consult daily, and when we win, we share jubilation, and we when we lose, we bond and bandage each other.
The other 3 leagues are fun, but don't have the same return that my team with Kevin brings me.



So let me indulge myself with my Brett team with my Opening Day Line up.

Starting rotation,

Jered Weaver, John Danks, Danny Haren, Jason Vargas, and AJ Burnett. My closer is Neftali Feliz.


Ellsbury in LF
Escobar at short
Longoria on 3rd
Holliday in RF
Wallace as DH
Konerko at 1st base
Hill at 2nd base
Martinez catching
Hunter in center field

Lots of depth in the bullpen, you can never have enough pitching ...right...

No comments:

Post a Comment